Thursday, March 24, 2005

California bargain

I bought a 2003 Bogle petite sirah on sale for nine dollars at O'Malia's and drank it with a grilled steak tonight. This was a rustic but agreeable wine, dark in color with smoky peppery notes, lively acid and noteable tannins. The wine used to be on the list at Truffles, I don't know if it still is. Petite sirah is a mystery grape, according to DNA testing not always the same from one vineyard to another, but well adapted to hot climates like the California central valley and South America. Worth picking up the next time you have something simple and hearty.
Trying to describe the wine reminds me of a cool site I just found through Robin Garr. http://redwinehaiku.blogspot.com/ The author has reviewed fifty or so wines, all in haiku. For example, a few weeks ago, I tried to describe my lack of enthusiasm for a well-made Mondavi cabernet. From the blog, here's a review of a different California cabernet:
[Louis B. Martini Napa Valley Reserve Cabernet 2000, copyright Lane Steinberg]
Everything correct
Tannin & acidity
Bored me to pieces

In that spirit, here are my thoughts on the Bogle:
Good friend for nine bucks
Black fruit with a winey bite
Stop by on Thursday

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home