Thursday, March 24, 2005

Qui e La

I’m just back from a week in Venice. I have to resist the temptation to write here about the wine I drank there, since the theme of this blog is drinking wine in Bloomington – no going on about the house Refosco at the Pizzeria Accademia. Maybe I can drop a word about whisky, though. My favorite malt is Lagavullin, which is basically now unavailable here or most places in the US. Last year I got a bottle in the duty-free shop at Charles de Gaulle airport but that too has dried up. So imagine my surprise when my wife spotted a bottle in the tiny alimentaria where we bought our breakfast bread in Venice. And then my further surprise, last night, to run across this passage in the newly published Elizabeth George, “With No One as Witness:”
“When [Linley] joined his old friend, St. James was at the drinks cart beneath the window, a decanter in his hand.
‘Sherry?’ he said. ‘Whisky?’
‘Have you gone through all the Lagavullin yet?’
‘Too hard to come by. I’m pacing myself.’
‘I’ll assist you.’”
I guess I’m not the only one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home