Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Riesling and Chinese

Here I am in O'Malia's, having just bought some shrimp with thoughts of celery, hot pepper sauce and peanuts. Happily, here is a Villa Maria riesling from New Zealand, the 2003, priced in the low teens. This is a bright and juicy wine, with flavors something like green apple and a citrus (maybe lime) touch to it, with a lot of bracing acid and a touch of sweetness. With spicy Chinese food, the sweetness soothes and the tangy fruit flavors refresh. I've not had much luck matching a weighty riesling (say Zind Humbrecht) with Chinese food. At Mark Pi's I am happy with the cheap Dr. Loosen, low in alcohol and maybe a touch too sweet but still a nice match for hot spices. But the Villa Maria adds a more interesting quality. I also can't escape the probably silly prejudice that a Pacific Rim wine suits Asian food better. I first tried the Villa Maria riesling because I also find their widely available sauvignon blanc a good wine at a good price but that will be a post for another day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home